Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My first Decoy

My first decoy was given to me by my father upon graduation from high school in 1989. It is a Wildfowler Bluebill hen. It was made in Old Saybrook Connecticut, the site of the original Wildfowler factory owned by Ted Mulliken. I believe this decoy to be an "Atlantic Coast" model, with a #2 quality feather finish. It was most likely produced in the late 1940's to early 1950's. The bottom has been painted with the initials G.H. in red, assumed to be the owners initials. I am not sure why my Dad chose this decoy, but it has inspired my current Wildfowler collection, and infected me with the decoy collecting bug. I find old wood decoys to be unique examples of American Folk art, as well as, tangible clues to our collective past. I have often heard collectors comment, "if this bird could talk , the stories it could tell." I enjoy researching the stories behind the decoy, the carver, the places, and attempting to give "the bird" a voice.
I am gearing up for the Santa Rosa Decoy show this weekend. Pictures and potential new additions will be coming soon. In the immortal words of the great collector, Delbert Winkelreid, "Keep the dust off 'em".


No comments:

Post a Comment